My Blog List

Friday, March 30, 2012

Summer Sonnet

Summer comes soon and I jump with delight.
I swim outside, at the pool or the beach.
It's summertime, there is no need to fight.
Whenever it's summertime, life's a peach.
Grad parties, campouts, bonfires galore,
I want to ride bikes, run and play all day.
I cannot wait to eat a s'more.
Summer should never, ever go away.
When summer starts to fade, I become sad.
I'm not ready for school, to learn new things,
The leaves falling, cold weather, "grr," I'm mad.
I miss summer and everything it brings.
I stare out my window and search for hope.
Without the bliss of summer, I will mope.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious!

    And would you agree that this actually has the feel of a younger person? If intentional, this is wonderful, but you might want to make that even more clear.

    Interestingly, you've done both assignments here--a sonnet and a dramatic monologue. "I want to ride bikes" especially sounds like a 14-year old (or even younger).

    "Grad parties" confuses the feeling, though, no?

    Cool work, here.

    DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem made me smile. I think this is something people of all ages can relate to. I'm just as excited for summer vacation now as I was back in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a nice sentiment, all the good things in summer. However, i think the rhyme/syllabic stress feels a little forced in places. Maybe reconsider word choice, otherwise, good job. cute poem.

    ReplyDelete