My Blog List

Friday, April 6, 2012

New Orleans

I will arise and venture to New Orleans,
French Quarter here I come!
I can shop 'till I drop in the lavish outdoor mall,
Visit the aquarium, or watch the Saints play football.
The possibilities are endless, whatever shall I do?

The seafood in the Big Easy is delectable.
It's fresh and better than the rest.
From lobster to crab or shrimp po'boys,
They're truly the best.
And if I want to be adventurous,
Try something new from the deep blue,
I'll indulge in a gator bite or two.

The Creole spirit is in the air tonight,
When the jazz bands play their tunes all night.
I tap my feet to the beats from the South,
And try to find the right words to come from my mouth.
The music is "magical" and "hits the spot."

At last I reach you, mighty Superdome,
You're quite a legendary place.
On the outside, you remind me of a spaceship,
But I close my eyes and picture the thousands you saved from Hurricane Katrina.
I smiled knowing they were blessed.
New Orleans, you shall not be forgotten.

4 comments:

  1. There's a lot to praise here. You've certainly included tons of specific language, and I wonder if you could do even more if you weren't tied to what can sometimes feel like a goofy rhyme-scheme (not your fault; it's in the model).

    As for the end, I wonder if it's too simplistic. Is the Super Dome really a positive symbol of American life, or is a place of tragedy?

    Anyway, I'm glad your poem has me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for changing you comment settings so I don't have to prove I'm not a robot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love New Orleans. There is so much to be said about such a colorful place. Maybe the last stanza could me an amalgamation of all of the quint (and not so quaint) aspects of NOLA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your poem about New Orleans! I haven't been there in a very long time but your poem kinda took me back and it gave me a good vibe! I know we talked about this in class but I like the line about Katrina but I think it could be shortened a little! I liked this a lot though

    ReplyDelete