My Blog List

Friday, April 13, 2012

A Strange Sound

As I lie in bed fast asleep,
Something starts to creep.
Is it a tree scratching against my window?
Whatever could it be?

The sound is ever so faint,
But grows louder with every second.
My heart starts to pound for what's in store.

I hear the creaking of the floorboards
And I think to myself, "Do I get out of bed?"
"Go back to sleep?" What should I do?

I then hear three words uttered,
"Go see Rachel."
I lie there stiff as a board.

Suddenly the noise stops
And I hear a big thud.

Alas, it is only my puppy on my bed,
With her puffy plastic green toy.
Squeaking obnoxiously for me to play

Oh boy, I'm never going back to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. The rhyming at the beginning was great! I love how all the endings of your poems have a twist to them! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this poem being terribly scared of the dark when I was a kid. The beginning is tense and the ending is more lofty which captures the feeling nicely of being paralyzed with fear for no reason and it always being fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,

    I like this, but I also wonder if you can pump up the fear at the beginning a little more. The rhymes make it hard for us to feel the unadulterated emotion.

    No rhymes next week!

    DW

    ReplyDelete